Note    N1136         Index
"Ernest James Buxton was born on 3 October 1876 at 44 Peel Street, Hanley, which is one of th e five towns making up the huge conurbation of Stoke Upon Trent in Staffordshire.

He came to New Zealand with his family and on 7 August 1901 married Daisy Gibbard at the hom e of Mrs Gibbard, Madras Street, St Albans. At his marriage Ernest is recorded as being a bu tcher.

The New Zealand International Exhibition was held in Christchurch during 1906 and 1907 and fa mily legend has it that a young Emma Richmond of Sydney, Australia, was employed as a waitres s and tipped something over Ernest Buxton and love blossomed The couple were married at S t Johns Church, Milsons Point in Sydney, Australia, on 18 December 1907.

After honeymooning in Melbourne the couple returned to Christchurch where Ernest resumed hi s occupation as a butcher in New Brighton. Their first daughter, Kathleen Annie, was born th e following year and they went on to have six children in all. One daughter, Marjorie, die d young of burns . Their only son was the last to arrive in 1917 by which time they were liv ing in Mairehau and dairy farming.

Ernest farmed on 2 properties in Kellys Road and on the purchase of the second also acquire d a milk run. He had a milk cart and, loaded with a large milk can and dipper, he would serv ice his personal customers scattered around the area. It is not like the present day orderl y milk runs.

He died on 9 August 1950 at 231 Westminster Street, Christchurch." - Marjorie Doole

Certificate of purchase of Lots 154/155 Block 36 at Linwood Cemetry 19/2/1918. At this time E rnest and Emma lived at 31 Kellys Road, Christchurch.


Note    N1137         Index
Lynne Isbister, grandaughter of Florence - Having holidays - my brother, Garry, and I woul d go up on the train from Oamaru to Christchurch and stay with Nana at her home in New Bright on. Nana lived not far from the beach & each day we would walk there; she grew asparagus; sh e had pockets sewn in her corsets for her money; also had money hidden inside her mattress . She didnt trust Banks. One night she was reading in bed & a moth flew in her ear. The d octor had to come & get it out. He poured oil in, I think. I can remember being frightene d & her showing me the moth. She used to take baking soda out of a red tin - for her stomac h - and mixed it with water. She was a little lady with white hair. I loved my Nana - I ca n still remember the moment when the phone rang to say she had died and the awful feeling tha t overcame me. I was only 8 at the time.


Note    N1160         Index
Newspaper - "BUXTON - DERRETT A very pretty wedding was solemnised at St. Paul's Presbyteria n Church, Christchurch, on Tuesday morning by the Rev. W.H.P.McKenzie, BA., when Mary Ross De rrett, only daughter of Mr Owen Derrett and the late Mrs Derrett of Leeston, was married to M r Ernest Laurence Buxton, eldest son of Mr & Mrs Buxton, of New Brighton. The church was arti stically decorated by the girl friends of the bride with autumn foliage and white chrysanthem ums. A beautiful bell hung in front of the altar over the young couple. The organist, Mr Rayn or White, played suitable music.
The bride, who entered the church on the arm of her father, to the strains of the "Wedding Ma rch" wore a simple frock of pale cream brocaded crepe de chine. Her veil, which had come fro m Scotland, and was beautifully embroidered, was held in place by a wreath of orange blossoms , and she carried a beautiful bouquet of white chrysanthemums, fern, and hot-house flowers.
The bridesmaids were Miss Etta Seaton, cousin of the bride, and Miss Eileen Buxton, sister o f the bridegroom, the former wearing a pretty frock of silver-blue marocain, and the latter p ale pink brocaded crepe de chine. Both wore circles of silver leaves and blue rosettes roun d their heads, and carried pretty bouquets to tone with their frocks.
Mr George Sincock, cousin of the bridegroom, was best man, and Mr Russell Buxton, attended a s groomsman.
A reception was held at the Winter Gardens, where a number of guests were entertained.
The popularity of the young couple was shown by the number of telegrams received and the beau tiful and useful presents, including a number of cheques.
The happy cou0ple left for the North amid showers of confetti and good wishes, Mrs Buxton tra velling in a costume of dove-grey gabardine, stitiched in Oriental colours, and hate to match , relieved with touches of blue. The bride's future home will be in Auckland.
Mary used to affectionately call Lawrence "Kid".

Testimonial from West Christchurch District High School, December 14, 1914.
I have pleasure in bearing testimony to the character and ability of Lawrence Buxton, who wa s, for two years, a pupil of the Commercial Class in the West Christchurch District High Scho ol, prior to 1914. During that time he showed a creditable industry and perseverance in th e performance of his work, which was consistently good during the whole time he was under m y instruction. He has more than average ability, and I have no hesitation in recommending hi m to any position that requires steadiness of purpose and intelligence.
Before he left the school, he passed the Junior Civil Service Examination, taking the purel y Commercial subjects, including Agriculture, and I can safely say that the knowledge he gain ed on the subjects taught here was as complete as one could wish in a pupil of two years sta nding.
I found him invariably honest, straightforward and courteous, and I have no doubt that he ha s a successful future before him.
        (Signed) A. F. Barrell B.A.
        Commercial Master.

Excerpts from an article written by E.L.F.Buxton for the NZ Journal of Medical Laboratory Tec hnology 1973 - My earliest knowledge of bacteriological laboratories was in 1917 when I was a ppointed to the Vetinary Laboratory at Wallaceville to fill a vacancy caused by the call-up o f Mr C. Hopkirk for service overseas in the Army Veterinary Corps. At that time the whole o f the original staff were on active service. When the staff returned from the First World Wa r, I was transferred to the Chemical Laboratory of the Dept. of Agriculture in Wellington. I t was about this time, early 1920, that the Dept. of Health brought in its Bacteriological Tr ainee Scheme. In the latter half of 1920 I was appointed as a trainee at Wellington Hospital . In 1923 I obtained my C.O.P. in bacteriology and clinical pathology. I was transferred t o Auckland in 1924. At the beginning of 1928 I was appointed to Wanganui at 350pounds p.a. f or which I had to drop 5 pounds but I considered the ultimate salary would rise higher as th e grading at Auckland had a maximum of 420pounds p.a. But there was no grading of hospital b oard bacteriologists in those days and one had to impress the board with comparison of salari es made by neighbouring boards - Palmerston Nth and Taranaki before any increase was given . Eventually the recommended maximum was 450pounds p.a.

A Tribute paid by Rev. Selwyn Dawson - New Zealand Methodism lost one of her finest laymen r ecently when Ernest Laurence Fletcher Buxton was killed (along with his brother-in-law, Ronal d Derrett) in a road accident near Palmerston North.
His was a fully rounded life, and the years touched him only lightly; though he was 74 at th e time of his death, none of his family or friends could regard him as old.
Coming from a Methodist family at New Brighton, Laurence quite naturally took his place in Ch urch life - first, being active in youth affairs and then going on to hold almost every offi ce open to a layman in the Methodist Church. He was most actively associated with Wesley Chu rch, Gonville, Wanganui, where he worshipped from 1928 to 1954. He was at various times S.S . Supt., trustee, B.C.leader, Circuit Steward & organist. He was a gracious and accepted la y preacher, he served on various connexional committees and was elected Vice President of th e Methodist Church Conference in 1954. All these positions he held with grace, enthusiasm an d distinction, whether in or out of office his lively faith and caring personality touched ev erything he did. His years of retirement as a member of the Trinity congregation, Palmerst on North, bore the same marks, and he remained the kindly unassuming friend of a multitude o f people, old and young.
Professionally, Laurence served with equal distinction. He trained as a Bacteriologist in Wa llaceville, Upper Hutt, (1917-24) and in Auckland (1925-28). He was appointed as Bacteriolo gist to Wanganui Hospital. There the tiny new department grew under his hand until at his re tirement in 1955, it had several sections and a substantial staff, as well as a Blood Transfu sion unit for whose formation he was responsible. It would not be an exaggeration to say tha t the same qualities of warmth and human caring added to his professional competence, allowe d his department to render a unique service to the Wanganui Hospital.
He was one of the founding fathers of the NZ Association of Bacteriologists in 1945, and he w as honoured by becoming its first life member, its first President, and in 1966 he was made o ne of its only three fellows.
Church and laboratory by no means exhausted his interests; he was for many years President o f the Wanganui Crippled Childrens Association. He played hockey as a young man - and in lat ter years was an active bowler.
No record of his life would be complete without reference to his home. He married Miss Mar y Ross Derrett of Leeston in 1925, and throughout the years she supported and helped him in e very way. He was a home loving man - keen on his garden, given to hospitality, a loving an d understanding parent to his daughter and three sons.
To those who knew him, Laurie Buxton was the kind of unconscious exemplar of the Gospel we i n our best moments would wish to be.